Tami Penner specializes in advising clients on all aspects of employment law, including employment agreements, wage and hour issues, leaves of absences, disability accommodations, employee policies, privacy, protection of proprietary information, performance management, workplace investigations, discipline and termination. Tami has more than 20 years of experience representing and partnering with employers of all sizes to effectively navigate employee challenges and compliance issues with continually developing employment laws. She has successfully defended clients at both the trial and appellate levels in both state and federal courts and before administrative agencies, mediators and arbitrators.
Tami works closely with management and human resources professionals and advises multi-state employers on many legal topics under various state employment laws, including wage and hour compliance, agency audits, discrimination laws, independent contractor issues, leaves of absence management, complex reductions in force and WARN Act compliance, in-house investigations, occupational safety and background checks.'
Along with advising clients, Tami provides regular trainings to management and staff on numerous topics, including preventing workplace harassment, general management principles and best practices, managing employee leaves and disability issues, avoiding wage and hour claims, and the differences between California and federal employment laws for employers with multi-state locations.
- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D., 1993, with High Distinction, Order of the Coif, Law Review, Editor
- University of Nebraska, 1988, B.A., with Highest Distinction
- Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton LLP, Senior Counsel, July 2016 – Present
- Dentons, Senior Counsel, 2013 – 2016
- Veterans Medical Research Foundation, Counsel, 2006 – 2013
- Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps LLP, Associate/Counsel, 1993 – 2006
- All California state courts
- All United States District Courts in California