Richard Sheridan spent 32 years of his career as the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary of Scripps Health, a $3.5 b company operating hospitals and clinics. He retired in 2020 as Executive Vice President responsible for the organization's legal functions, human resources, employee learning, internal audit, compliance, information security, risk management, quality improvement and patient experience.
Richard brings a deep understanding of the practical needs and processes of complex institutions to the legal advice he provides on a broad range of issues from governance, corporate law and tax exemption to contracts, business deals and regulatory risk management.
Richard has been recognized as part of the best leadership team in American healthcare (Health Leaders magazine, 2008) and as General Counsel of the year (San Diego Business Journal, 2013). He is a past president of the California Society for Healthcare Attorneys. He has been an adjunct professor at the University of California San Diego and at California Western School of Law and a regular lecturer for professional organizations. Richard has trained as a mediator with the National Conflict Resolution Center. He volunteers as a small business mentor for the Service Corps of Retired Executives and as a board member for Pawsitive Teams, a non-profit that trains service dogs.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D. 1984
- Stanford University Law School, visiting student 1983-84
- Lawrence University BA, History 1979
- Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton LLP, Of Counsel, March 2021 – present
- Scripps Health, General Counsel 1988-2020
- Hanson, Bridgett 1986-1988
- Hassard Bonnington 1984-1986
- All California Courts
- Unites States District Court, Northern District of California