Jeff Michalowski helps businesses, universities, and public entities navigate legal challenges at all levels of the state and federal judiciary. Jeff has deep roots in employment law, class actions, and civil rights — he authored multiple chapters of the leading treatise on California employment law, he has tried cases to defense verdicts in both state and federal courts, and he teaches civil rights law.
Jeff is also an experienced appellate advocate. He has authored over 75 appellate briefs in the Ninth Circuit and California Courts of Appeal, and has handled matters in the California Supreme Court (both at the review and merits stage) and before the United States Supreme Court (both at the certiorari stage and merits stage). He has helped clients—including AT&T, Bank of America, and the University of San Diego—win writs and appeals in employment law matters. But he also serves as an appellate generalist, handling appeals in cases involving contract disputes, torts and injuries, the First Amendment, and the full run of section 1983 cases against public entities.
Jeff also maintains an active pro bono practice. Most recently, he brought a petition for writ of mandate on behalf of two public benefits recipients, and obtained a settlement resulting in payment of back benefits to over a thousand of California’s neediest citizens. Previously, he obtained relief from the Ninth Circuit for a political refugee seeking asylum in the United States.
Prior to joining Paul Plevin, Mr. Michalowski worked as an associate in the employment law department at Paul Hastings LLP for seven years. He also spent two and half years leading the appellate and Supreme Court practice for the County of San Diego.
- Harvard Law School, J.D. cum laude, 2006
- University of Virginia, B.A. with High Distinction, 2001
- Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton LLP, Partner and Appellate Practice Chair, December 2021 – Present
- Office of County Counsel, Appellate and Supreme Court, April 2019 – December 2021
- Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton LLP, Partner, January 2017 – April 2019; Associate, June 2013 – December 2016
- Paul Hastings LLP, Associate, 2006 – 2013
- All California state courts
- All United States District Courts in California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the Fifth Circuit
- Instructor, Workplace Law, California State University, San Marcos (2014 -present)
- Instructor, Managing within the Law, California State University, San Marcos (2015 - present)
- Guest Lecture, University of San Diego, “Employment Law and Technology” (2018)
- Instructor, UCSD Extension, Employment Law for Managers (2017)