George Howard, Jr. has represented employers in virtually every type of employment or labor dispute for more than 40 years, including multi-week bench and jury trials, as well as many shorter proceedings before judges, administrative law judges, and arbitrators. Since 2007 he has been recognized 11 times by Super Lawyers as one of the top 10 attorneys in San Diego. He has been listed annually since 1993 in The Best Lawyers in America and since 2005 in Chambers USA as one of the premier labor and employment lawyers in California.
George has experience in matters involving employment discrimination, wage/hour, harassment, trade secrets/employee mobility, retaliation, whistleblower, ERISA, and employment contract issues. He also has extensive experience in union/management relations and collective bargaining along with trial experience in contract/warranty and real estate cases. George serves as amicus coordinator and is a past chair of the Employers Group Legal Committee, a group of 18 California employment lawyers who represent the interests of employers as amicus curiae in appeals of important employment and labor cases.
George is a Fellow at The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, and the first San Diegan elected to this prestigious organization for labor and employment lawyers. He is a founding editor of Rutter Group's California Practice Guide-Employment Litigation. George is a past president of the San Diego Chapter of the Industrial Relations Research Association (now known as The Labor and Employment Research Association). In 1999-2000 he was instrumental in negotiating the first collective bargaining agreement in California between a labor organization and a federally recognized Indian tribe.
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1977
- University of Virginia, B.A. with highest distinction, 1974
- Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton LLP, Partner, January 2021 – present
- Jones Day, Partner, 2007-2017; Of Counsel (2018-2020)
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, Partner 1999-2007
- Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps, Partner; Chair, Labor and Employment practice, 1986-1999
- All California State Courts
- United States District Courts, Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
- United States Courts of Appeals, Ninth Circuit and the District of Columbia