Fred Plevin is a founder of Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton. Throughout his 33 year career, he has advised and defended California employers in a wide variety of industries, including higher education, banking, technology, communications, and manufacturing. Fred is an experienced trial lawyer, with an excellent record in jury trials in cases involving allegations of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and fraud. He also has extensive experience in other employment-related claims, including wage and hour class actions and trade secret disputes. Fred uses his experience litigating cases to provide employers with advice and counsel on a broad range of employment issues. In addition, Fred served as Paul Plevin’s Managing Partner for 21 years, from the firm’s inception in 1998 until January 1, 2020.
Fred has been selected by his peers to be included in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2005, and in Southern California Super Lawyers and The Best of the U.S. attorney listings since 2007. He holds Martindale Hubbell's highest peer rating ("AV Preeminent") for Legal Ability and General-Ethical Standards. Best Lawyers has twice named Fred the “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation - Labor and Employment in San Diego (2012 and 2018). Fred has been ranked by Martindale-Hubbell as a Top Lawyer in the Labor & Employment category several times, as published in San Diego Magazine.
Fred is a member of several invitation-only national groups. He is an elected Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. He is also a Senior Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, and a member of the Management Labor Employment Roundtable and American Employment Law Council, both organizations of leading management-side labor and employment lawyers from across the United States. In addition, Fred serves as Vice Chair of the Wage & Hour Defense Institute, a nationwide organization consisting of top wage and hour litigators from all 12 federal circuits. He has also served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at California Western School of Law.
In 2019, Fred was selected by California’s Chief Justice to serve on the newly created Legislative Workplace Conduct Panel, a five-member panel that reviews investigations of alleged workplace misconduct involving the California legislative branch, makes factual findings, and proposes corrective actions.
- Boston University School of Law J.D. 1986, magna cum laude
- State University of New York, Albany B.S., Biology, 1983, cum laude
- Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton LLP, Founder and Partner; Managing Partner, August 1998 – December 2019
- Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich, Associate, 1986-1992; Partner, 1993-1998; Chair, Gray Cary Employment Services Practice Group, 1998
- All California State Courts
- United States District Court; Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Best Lawyers in America (since 2005)
- Best Lawyers San Diego Lawyer of the Year— Litigation—Labor & Employment (2012, 2018)
- San Diego Super Lawyers—Employment Litigation (since 2007)
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Attorney (Highest rating)
- San Diego’s Top Lawyers—San Diego Magazine
- Martindale-Hubbell Labor & Employment Top Rated Lawyer
- Top Attorneys in Southern California—Los Angeles Magazine
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- America’s Most Honored Professionals—Top 1%