Denise specializes in helping clients avoid legal claims and limit exposure when they occur. She regularly advises management and HR on effective strategies for complying with federal, state and local employment laws, as well as resolving the many challenging issues and conflicts that can arise in managing a workforce. Denise enjoys helping clients navigate all types of issues related to hiring, employee relations and misconduct, leaves of absence and disability accommodations, compensation and benefits, internal complaints of unlawful conduct, as well as terminations and mass layoffs. She routinely works with clients to create effective and clear policies, procedures and communications, as well as employment contracts and agreements that further and protect the organization's business interests.
Denise is also a Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional and enjoys supporting clients in the design, implementation and management of corporate compliance programs to support strong cultures of ethics and compliance, manage risk and enhance company performance. Examples of client support in this area include the development, review and assessment of Codes of Business Conduct, third party due diligence and monitoring programs, independent ethics hotlines, risk assessments, policy administration procedures, complaint investigation and management processes, as well as ethics and compliance training. Denise also provides clients with tailored employee communications and training programs on a wide variety of employment law and compliance topics.
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D. 1997
- University of California, San Diego, B.A. Sociology 1992, cum laude
- Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton, LLP, Partner, Feb. 2020 - Present
- Cubic Corporation, VP Compliance, Labor & Employment, Oct. 2014 - Jan. 2020; Senior Counsel Sept. 2009 - Sept. 2014
- Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton, LLP, Partner, Aug. 2007 - Sept. 2009; Associate Feb. 2001 - Aug. 2007
- King & Ballow, Associate, May 1998 - Feb 2001
- Harris & Offner, Associate, June 1997 - May 1998
- All California state courts
- All United States District courts in California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit