Jeff Ames represents public and private employers in all aspects of labor and employment litigation, including the defense of employment class actions involving wage and hour claims, disparate impact discrimination, and WARN Act claims. In addition to litigation, he regularly advises employers on daily employment-related issues including wage and hour compliance, employee terminations, leaves of absence and disability accommodation, and reductions in force, among others. Jeff’s clients include telecommunications and technology companies, health care systems, and local and national retailers.
Jeff has extensive trial experience before judges, juries, and arbitrators. He began his career as a United States Navy judge advocate, where he successfully tried numerous cases before juries and judges. He served as the Navy’s Senior Defense Counsel for Europe and Southwest Asia, and then as Special Counsel to the United Nations War Crimes Unit in Kosovo. Jeff later prosecuted federal crimes as a Special Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of California, and was the Evidence Instructor at the Naval Justice School in San Diego. Since completing his military service, Jeff's practice has been dedicated to defending employers in litigation matters, and counseling employers on all aspects of their daily employment practices.
Jeff continues to serve as a Captain in the United States Navy Reserve Judge Advocate General’s Corps. He is currently the Commanding Officer of the reserve Defense Institute of International Legal Studies, a unit that provides legal education and rule of law programs for international military personnel around the globe.
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 1998
- Baylor University, B.B.A, 1995
- U.S. Naval War College, College of Command and Staff, 2003
- Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton LLP, Partner, January 2011 - present; Associate, March 2007 - December 2010
- Shea Stokes, ALC, Associate, January 2006 - March 2007
- United States Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps, January 1999 - December 2005
- All California and Maryland state courts
- All United States District Courts in California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit