Fred Plevin has specialized in serving employers throughout California for 30 years. He defends single plaintiff and class action employment claims for private and public sector clients, counsels employers on employment issues, and conducts management training on human resources and HR risk management issues. Fred has an excellent record in jury trials of a wide variety of employment matters. He also has extensive experience in other employment-related claims in state and federal court, including wage and hour class actions and trade secret disputes. In addition, he has been Paul Plevin’s Managing Partner since establishing the firm in 1998, overseeing the firm’s growth from six to 29 lawyers.
Fred has been selected by his peers to be included in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2005, and has been listed in Southern California Super Lawyers and The Best of the U.S. attorney listings since 2007. He holds Martindale Hubbell's highest peer rating ("AV Preeminent") for Legal Ability and General-Ethical Standards. For 2012, Best Lawyers named Fred as the “San Diego Best Lawyers Litigation - Labor & Employment Lawyer of the Year.” Fred was ranked by Martindale-Hubbell as a Top Lawyer for 2016 and 2017 in the Labor & Employment category as published in San Diego Magazine.
Fred is a member of several invitation-only national groups. In 2017, Fred was elected a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. He is also a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, the Wage & Hour Defense Institute (consisting of top wage and hour litigators from all 11 federal circuits), and the Management Labor Employment Roundtable and the American Employment Law Council, both nationwide organizations of top management-side labor and employers and in-house counsel. He has also served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at California Western School of Law.
In 2017, Fred accepted an invitation to serve as a member of the Board of Visitors of the UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center.
- Boston University School of Law J.D. 1986, magna cum laude
- State University of New York, Albany B.S., Biology, 1983, cum laude
- Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton LLP, Founder & Managing Partner, August 1998 – Present
- Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich, Associate, 1986-1992; Partner, 1993-1998; Chair, Gray Cary Employment Services Practice Group, 1998
- All California State Courts
- United States District Court; Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Supreme Court